Last week sorted out the pretenders from the contenders in college football, with Alabama, Oregon, Notre Dame and Kansas State taking one giant step forward.
This week we are in the survive and advance mode for some teams and the Watch Out mode for others.
1. LSU plus 9 vs. Alabama–Good team, playing at home, getting more than a touchdown. This is a virtual playoff game for LSU. Win this one and the Tigers take control of the SEC West, which means they are in the mix for not only the SEC title, but the BCS title game as well (with a little help). This figures to be Bama’s first major challenge of the season.
The pick: Alabama 14, LSU 6
2. Virginia Tech minus 2.5 vs. Miami–Virtually a pick-em game. Virginia Tech is clearly in a rebuilding phase, Miami is still building. We think the Hokies’ are further along in the process.
The pick: Virginia Tech 30, Miami 17
3. Clemson minus `13.5 vs. Duke–Clemson needs some help to get to ACC title game (an FSU loss). Duke has its six wins.
The pick: Clemson 24, Duke 10
4. NC State minus 14 vs. Virginia–State lost a tough one against North Carolina last week. Another win gets them into a bowl game. Virginia is just bad this season.
The pick: NC State 35, Virginia 14
5. Florida minus 15 vs Missouri–Florida’s loss to Georgia probably cost the Gators the SEC East. Missouri is finding the SEC much tougher than the Big 12.
The pick: Florida 28, Missouri 10
6. Pittsburgh plus 17.5 vs. Notre Dame–ND has to have a let down game and this will be it. Pittsburgh isn’t that bad, but ND’s defense will prevent the upset, but the Irish will be nervous well into the fourth quarter.
The pick: Notre Dame 24, Pittsburgh 10
7. Oklahoma State plus 9 vs. Kansas State–Maybe it’s because we just have no faith in the Big 12, but we think this could be the upset of the day before Kansas State and Collin Klein pull it out.
The pick: Kansas State 21, Oklahoma State 17
8. USC plus 6 vs.Oregon–See LSU. Good team, playing at home, getting a touchdown. Oregon has something to prove and needs to pile up style points as well as victories and this is a key game since Notre Dame will visit USC later in the month. But….
The pick: Oregon 31, USC 27
9. Texas plus 7 vs. Texas Tech–Maybe it’s just seeing Texas Tech as a touchdown favorite over Texas that throws us.
The pick: Texas 17, Texas Tech 14
10. Texas A&M minus 6.5 vs. Mississippi State–Defenses won’t exist in this game with last team with the ball winning (but no overtime)
The pick: Texas A&M 42, Mississippi State 35
Last week: 6-4
Season to date: 52-28
Last week (vs. spread): 5-5
Season to date: 42-46-2© Copyright 2012 Mark, All rights Reserved. Written For: A Jersey Guy